Friday, August 22, 2014

About Them Buckets

I like the ice bucket challenge. I'm happy that ALS is getting so much exposure. And I'm thrilled they are bringing in so much money! Do I wish that someone had thought of this for epilepsy? Sure I do. But no one did.
I watched the short video of Pete Frates, the young Boston College graduate and baseball player who got this started for ALS when he challenged a couple of friends to do the challenge ( which had been around for sometime with athletes doing it for various charities). Well---- they did it for Pete and ALS and so it went.
 I just can't get worked up and cynical about this. So what if celebs are getting their mugs all over social media? So what if some people are "showing off" ? It's fun to watch for the most part and the end outcome is that it IS spreading awareness and raising more money than The ALS Foundation dared to hope for even in their wildest dreams.
ALS is horrific. It's described  as a progressive neuro degenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain. As I often think about all the neurological  disorders such as MS, Alzheimer's---- wouldn't it be wonderful to unlock the mystery of one so that perhaps we could eventually unlock the mystery of all the pathologies of the brain and cure some of these monsters?
Such as ---- epilepsy?

No comments:

Post a Comment