Wednesday, July 9, 2014

It's Official: I'm Addicted

It's practically the first thing I think about after waking, second only to checking that Michael is NOT seizing and IS breathing. I definitely think about it often throughout the day and sometimes a family member points out smugly that they knew what I was just doing upstairs.
My name is MaryLou and I am a tapaholic. That's right- a tapaholic.
I have never in my adult life--- oh hell--- my entire life, been a fan of physical exertion otherwise known I suppose as exercise. I failed miserably at playing softball in my youth. My mother, an  excellent softball player, so much so that all her contemporaries say she could have played professionally, told me I threw like a girl. Yes. She really did say that. As an adult I tried it again when Barry and I moved to Michigan. I wasn't recruited for a second season. There have been multiple gym memberships, home exercise programs from Jane Fonda to Janet Jones to wii Zumba, and multiple contraption purchases including a stationary bike. Nothing lasted. I either was ill equipped for the sport, bored stiff with the routines or sick of working out next to the toned and buff.
But tap--- ahhhhh---- that's a different story. One hour of mixed music that transports me back in time to high school dates, college concerts, broadway shows, my wedding day, my kids childhoods and keeps me current with today's music as well. One hour of constantly changed up dance steps. Shuffle- heel-heel-pull-heel-toe-heel. That's the one I have been obsessively thinking about and practicing the past few days. What has happened to me? FitTAP: "the benefits of fitness, the joy of dance". Indeed!









No comments:

Post a Comment