Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Listen In

Last week I listened to the Podcast "Who Lives Like This".  Elizabeth Aquino and Jason Lehmbeck  interviewed special guest Paige Figi. Among a myriad of other things, Paige is the mother of Charlotte (of Charlotte's Web fame). There is much that has been written and televised about Charlotte's story but little about Paige's journey as a caregiver.

Let me just say Paige and I appear to have little in common except for the critical fact we are caregivers to children with intractable epilepsy; Charlotte, age 11, with Dravet, and my Michael, now 33, with what is described by the professionals as "LGS-like" epilepsy.

I was struck by Paige's zest for life and adventure and her commitment to doing what makes her happy so that she is there in every way for her children and all the other caregivers and children she works so zealously for. I encourage you to listen to the interview.

We've been dealing with Michael's epilepsy for over 28 years. We don't have the constant 24/7 scenarios of so many other caregivers because there have been months, even years, when Michael's daytime tonic or other potentially catastrophic seizures were not an issue. That reminds me of Elizabeth's words to her son Oliver, " And some have it better...". However, even during those times of respite there was anxiety regarding the always present uncontrolled nighttime seizures, the pain of observing how the anti-seizure drugs while effective with seizure control were dulling the mind, the experience of other effects of the drugs including behavior issues, lack of concentration, weight gain, weight loss, word finding difficulties, sleep issues, learning difficulties and so on and on and on...

Dealing with a chronic, sometimes, debilitating condition is so much more than dealing with the medical system. That would be enough for sure. But when one adds school system issues, haggling with insurance companies, bullying and isolation, stigma and discrimination---well---it's a lot. If you've been there, you get it. If not, there's a pretty good chance you don't. But, if you listen to the podcast referenced above, you might.

During our most recent battle with the epilepsy beast, I tap danced whenever I could. Yes. Tap danced---FitTAP to be specific. Those hours (sometimes 5 or 6 a week) listening to show tunes, rock, oldies, and Bruno and other contemporary artists while concentrating on  flaps, shuffles, balls, digs and riffs---well---those hours sustained me.

Caregiving can be exhausting and draining. Find that thing that works for you. Whether it be an activity or a place. Find it. Make time for it. Refresh and renew your spirit.

And one more thing. If you're a caregiver, please tune in to Elizabeth and Jason's podcast @www.wholiveslikethispodcast.com. You'll be inspired and moved to tears as well as laughter--- and you may learn something that will help you to sustain and renew. Promise.


4 comments:

  1. Love you, Mary Lou and thanks for giving the podcast a shout-out! Keep tap tapping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your book years ago. I am glad to find your blog. I have my own two blogs. One on gardening and the other about my daughter Rose. I am writing a book about her. You once messages me that we were part of a "sad sisterhood." I am thankful to know you are still making a difference. We are in North Carolina.
    https://seizuremama.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

  3. I did what a lot of people do when they want to know more about something. I googled it. I came across Dr ITUA herbal medicine on YouTube so many people thanking him about his good work. My son was epilepsy patent. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my son epilepsy status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Itua for everything he have done for my Son ,after my son taking Dr Itua Herbal medicine my son was completely free from epilepsy within 2 weeks of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp Number..+2348149277967 for help also if you are suffering from the list of disease below...Herpes Virus,Epilepsy,Genital Wart,Autism,Cold Sore,Hiv/Aids,Infertility(Finding it difficult to conceive) Or Man Infertility,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete